AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tools Carried At All Times
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mdnelson86
Posted 9/16/2024 11:35 (#10892507 - in reply to #10892486)
Subject: RE: Tools Carried At All Times

Paxton, IL
At all times? a vice grip and pocket knife on me. Amazing what you can accomplish even if that's all you have.

As far as tools in the tractor or combine? I try to take note of what is commonly used in repair/maintenance on the tractor/implement in use. Then I put together a tool bag for that specific job. In general I always have a decent hammer, pry bar, full set of combination wrenches, 1/2" drive extendable handle ratchet and decent socket set, and 6 in 1 screwdriver. I'll usually swap out metric VS SAE for different units depending on what they use. No sense in having a full set of SAE when everything on the tool is metric.

Combine I also carry a milwaukee m12 3/8" stubby impact and 3/8 power ratchet. It's amazing how much faster you can change broken guards and sickle sections with them.

I usually try to buy tractor tools at harbor freight or somewhere else cheap. Cheap enough to buy several of the same thing, and don't worry too much if something gets lost.

The bottom line is it's not practical to try to have everything you might possibly need at all times. Even with a fully stocked service truck, I still find myself running back to the shop sometimes. Focus on the stuff you know you have a high probability of needing, and omit what you can probably live without.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)