AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lug bolts ft/lbs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 9/17/2024 03:17 (#10893392 - in reply to #10892672)
Subject: RE: Lug bolts ft/lbs?

SW OH
I remember having a discussion about tire weight capacity with our tire guy at work years ago. He was about 70 and been a tire guy all his life. From what I remember, on road tires are rated at 75 MPH. Cutting the speed in half doubles the weight capacity. Halve again, double again. A forklift he was putting new tires on was what got the discussion started. It had 4, 10.00-20 bias tires on the front. The tires were 10 or 12 ply and had a load capacity of less than 5,000 pounds dual. So 5x4 is 20,000 pounds. It would lift about 45,000 pounds, weighed about 40,000 pounds, and could lift the back tires off the ground. So that puts about 85,000 pounds on 4 tires rated for about 20,000 pounds. Low speed is why they could take it. He also had a formula for correct tire pressure. The section height of the tire when loaded should be XX percent of the section height that the tire is unmounted. This was for 75 MPH, and again halve the speed, double the percentage of squat. The factor was different for bias and radial but I can't remember either number.

So taking a guess here you will have no more than 6,000 pounds per tire and your tires are probably rated for about that. Going slower than 75 MPH allows less air pressure without losing capacity. Heat is the biggest enemy of tires aside from shrapnel.

Mitchco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)