AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tariffs from below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Headland
Posted 9/19/2024 06:21 (#10895864 - in reply to #10895602)
Subject: RE: Tariffs from below

Malta, Illinois
America will not stop importing Chinese made junk. We as Americans are addicted to it. Everyone wants everything as cheap as possible. There are those who are disciplined enough to be mindful about what they buy and avoid Chinese made goods. The trouble is that some folks have no choice. Others do have a choice but are too cheap to go to a locally owned store if there is still one left, and pay 50% more for an item than what they can buy it at Walmart or on Amazon. We see it all the time on NAT. Guys are talking about how they buy this or that at Walmart because it is so much cheaper than somewhere else. You won't find much at Walmart that is made in USA. I am just as bad. I find myself doing a shocking amount of business on Amazon. It isn't necessarily a price thing for me but rather one of convenience. I haven't bought an article of clothing in a store for a long time. Go online find what you want in the size you want and two or three days later it is at your door. All of this contributes to us relying more on cheaper made foreign goods than those made in America. I don't believe any further tariffs will do anything to change that. In fact it will be a tax on everyone because inflation will continue to rise and business owners including farmers will suffer. If history has taught us anything it is that tariffs don't work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)